|Anna Maria Island may be the third best island in the U.S.|
but its beaches don't rank on TripAdvisor.
File photo by Grant Jefferies
Siesta Key ranked third, the highest in Florida, and Lido Beach, also in Sarasota County ranked 22nd, according to the 2014 list released Tuesday. Lanikai Beach in Oahu, Hawaii was the top beach.
“We are thrilled to share this news,” said Erin Duggan, Director of Brand for Visit Sarasota County. “We are honored so many visitors to our shores love their experience here and are willing to share it with others.”
TripAdvisor survey of 13,000 U.S. travelers found that 81 percent plan to take a beach vacation in 2014, compared to 69 percent that did in 2013. Summer is the most popular season for beach vacations with the most popular months being: July (23%), August (20%), June (19%).
“For those fed up with the long cold winter, there’s really no better cure than an escape to one of these award-winning beaches,” said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor. “Even if you can’t go to one of these stunning beaches soon, just looking at the photos will take you away for a moment, until you can plan a trip.”
Siesta Key dropped from No. 2 to No. 3 from last year's beach rankings. Other area beaches that made the list include Saint Pete Beach at No. 9, Caladesi Island State Park in Dunedin at No. 11 and Clearwater Beach at No. 21.
What's strange is how Anna Maria Island can rank third among U.S. islands, but none of its beaches rank at all in the Top 25. What gives? Was it the dredging equipment? Surely surveyors can come back and see there's enough sand on the beach now.
Here is the complete list
Travelers’ Choice Top 25 Beaches in the U.S.
1. Lanikai Beach, Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Ka'anapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
3. Siesta Key Public Beach, Siesta Key, Florida
4. Hanalei Beach, Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii
5. Wai'anapanapa State Park, Hana, Maui, Hawaii
6. Wailea Beach, Wailea, Maui, Hawaii
7. Hunting Island State Park, Beaufort, South Carolina
8. Manini'owali Beach (Kua Bay), Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
9. Saint Pete Beach, Saint Pete Beach, Florida
10. Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
11. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin, Florida
12. Poipu Beach Park, Poipu, Kauai, Hawaii
13. Ko Olina Lagoons, Kapolei, Hawaii
14. St. Augustine Beach, Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
15. Ogunquit Beach, Ogunquit, Maine
16. Race Point Beach, Provincetown, Massachusetts
17. Bahia Honda State Park and Beach, Big Pine Key, Florida
18. La Jolla Cove, La Jolla, California
19. Pensacola Beach, Pensacola, Florida
20. Beach at Panama City, Panama City Beach, Florida
21. Clearwater Beach, Clearwater, Florida
22. Lido Beach, Sarasota, Florida
23. Assateague Beach, Assateague Island, Virginia
24. Kapalua Beach, Kapalua, Hawaii
25. Navarre Beach, Navarre, Florida